Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Post-Oscar musings

Oscar night is long over and I'm late to blog about it. Sorry, I've been busy.
  • The show was lacklustre, I felt. I'm thrilled to see small movies sweep the Oscars, but you need stars and blockbusters to work the magic. Unfortunately, that's what TV audience have come to expect of award shows.
  • In the past, when I didn't have the opportunity to watch the show live fully, I used to keep re-loading the Oscar.com page as if I'm watching cricket over the Web.
  • George Clooney won something! Also, I liked his acceptance speech, though it wasn't fully extempore. Pleased that it was for a movie that I had watched and loved. He had 'deglamourised' himself for the role and also suffered back injury. Regarding other contenders for this award, I don't think Dillon was as good while Hurt was a joke in my opinion; I didn't watch the other two movies.
  • Crash, having demonstrated the power of story-telling, won the right awards.
  • I watched Walk The Line just before the Oscars and I thought Joaquin Phoenix was terrific. It was definitely a performance of a life-time. Maybe, Hoffman too came up with his in the same year unfortunately.
  • I was impressed by none of the "original songs" that were performed. None had the impact of say "My heart will go on" of Titanic. Anyway, I have watched only one of those movies and I can't judge the impact of those songs in their movies.

PS: If you come across a post on a fellow blogger's site with the same title, please be informed that neither of us copied it from the other. It was truly pure coincidence.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nav said...

Pure, freaky coincidence! haha

Nav

20 March, 2006 18:12  

Post a Comment

<< Home