Tuesday, February 14, 2006

V-Day

Valentine's Day is a day to celebrate one's love for his / her partner -- girlfriend, lover or spouse, whatever it may be. That's the way I see it. Don't you like to feel special on your birthday? Don't you like to party on New Year's Eve, though nothing really changes the next day? Similarly, can't we have such a day for a couple? Is there any harm in having yet another day to celebrate and have fun?

Yes, it may be yet another part of the "Western influence" on the world. So what? To me, personally, culture is what you choose to adopt, not necessarily something that is static. All cultures have grown with various influences and there is nothing bad or unusual about it. As an individual, I would like to pick and choose what I think is good or right and do that. That will form my culture.

"Moral police" continue to make a fuss. It has even grown to the extent of an annual event. Vigorous marketing is possibly what brought Valentine's Day into other cultures -- so what? I say you do what you want -- even if you think you don't care about the noise either way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home