Friday, January 06, 2006

Syriana and beyond

This movie has excited me ever since I heard about it and I managed to watch it just a few days ago. Let's start with the bottom-line. Yes, it's serious, but less boring than Traffic (same writer, Stephen Gaghan and directed by Steven Soderbergh, who has produced this one along with George Clooney) -- is that because the problem is more grave? There are many interconnected stories again. Even if you don't fully understand all the links, you would be drowned in the seriousness of the situation. It is a story that had to be brought to light and kudos to all involved!

If the fact that USA's interest in Middle East is centered on oil has to be made any clearer, we probably need a movie with the US President as a principal character! Here, there is no hero and there is no villain; all characters are perfectly gray.

The pace of narration is consistent, though it may not be to the liking of most of the regular movie audience. The various pieces of the jigsaw puzzle also make you realise how people are involved without knowing what else is happening in the "oil world". I didn't really see the movie as a thriller, even though almost every scene gave mild shocks, served out slowly. One of the interesting stories is the terrorism connection, expected, but still told refreshingly. It actually features Urdu dialogues (though accentuated at times) that most Indians can understand! In fact, a large part of the movie has non-English dialogues with subtitles; I felt that added to the effectiveness.

All actors have done a wonderful job. Clooney shows the way with his extra pounds, partially shaven hair, unshaven face and absolute lack of charisma. Maybe, he was partially helped by lack of dialogues too. Matt Damon is good, but possibly a bit too cute for the role. But he probably has the best dialogues of the movie. Sample two (thanks to IMDb):
  • It's running out, and 90% of what's left, is in the Middle East. This is a fight to the death.
  • You want to know what the business world thinks of you? We think a hundred years ago you were living out here in tents in the desert chopping each others' heads off, and that's exactly where you're gonna be in another hundred. So yes, on behalf of my firm, I accept your money.
Mazhar Munir, as the Pakistani lad, had a memorable part. I didn't understand why William Hurt was featured in yet another brief role.



Instead of a still or poster, for a change, I'm featuring the above image-link for a noble cause, that I identify with. Seeing other movies on that site, I have a feeling that either Clooney is involved in this too or the person behind it is a fan.

Meanwhile, I'm fast becoming a Clooney fan. I'm still waiting to watch his Good Night, and Good Luck. More than his stylish personality, I'm impressed by his noble ideas. More rambling later. After all, he deserves a separate post!

Till now, I've been wondering why the movie is called what it is. Got the answer off Google:

For those wondering what the word Syriana means, G & M explains that Syriana takes its title from a term used by certain Washington think-tanks to describe a hypothetical Middle East reshaped by their ideas of democracy.

Hear it from the horse's mouth, provided by (what else but) NPR. The movie is based on a book, See No Evil by Robert Baer. He is a former CIA agent on whom Clooney's character (named Bob!) is based on.

Okay, enough of me talking. Now, it's upto you to go and watch Syriana!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello there!

I liked your analysis of the movie and I agree with a lot of what you said. After watching it I decided to put "See No Evil" on my "must read" list, haha.

06 January, 2006 17:17  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The characters are grey and you bring up some good points about the movie. However, Syriana still lacks the great story telling that Traffic had a few years ago.

For all I know the script could have been wonderful and Syriana might be a great movie on paper. In my opinion it was poorly directed. If it was left up to Soderbergh the movie might have turned out to be easier to follow and more audience-friendly.

-Hermancles

I appreciate your comments. How did you find my blog?

06 January, 2006 17:19  
Blogger randramble said...

Good to see some discussion.

Angelicamy: I too want to read the book, but I decided to buy it after I finish reading those I have bought already...:-D!

Hermancles: Let's agree to disagree...:-). I like reading your blog, though I'm not for extreme comments. Chanced upon your 'review' of Kong, about which I too have posted a couple of times.

07 January, 2006 06:45  

Post a Comment

<< Home