Sunday, January 22, 2006

Crashing in...

As much as I'd like to avoid continuing the domination of this blog by movies lately, I have to talk about one of the most powerful movies I've watched. I caught hold of Crash after a friend recommended it to me. I was sure it would be special because he had asked me to watch it.

Picture courtesy: http://www.crashfilm.com

More than the movie-making technique, it's the impact of the story (though there are multiple) that hits you. Some of the scenes in this movie are among the most potent I've ever watched.

Los Angeles, I guess is a good setting. So many 'crashes' in a single movie may seem contrived, but that's only a metaphor.

The acting is very good. You can see the characters beyond most stars. As for the others, their memorable characters will stay in your mind.

This is also the first DVD movie I watched with commentary. Though I expected more, it was interesting to know the effort that went in. Even an established set of people have had to struggle so much to get their movie out. The cost of the movie was a mere 7.5 million dollars, much less than what Sandra Bullock gets paid usually!

Any time when I think about racism, especially in the US context, I will remember this movie for sure. It might even serve as a reference point.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home