Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Making sense of economy

Nimesh Kampani -- I've never heard of the name before. When I saw the title on Rediff.com proclaiming "India doesn't need FDI", I was interested. As I read along and checked out an old cover story on him, I understood what the man was all about.

His answers in the 3-part interview are simple and make sense even to a person like me who's scared of financial terms. In addition to his thoughts on the Indian economy, a few of his observations / ideas were interesting:
  • ...Japan has saved money for years. Investors there get zero or negligible interest. At some places, bank charges them for keeping deposits. In our banks, on the contrary, we get four per cent, at least. The Japanese are tired of dead investment. So they are looking out.
  • A friend of mine was in China recently. He was travelling along a road lined with houses on both sides. After 15 days, when he returned along the same road, he saw those homes had disappeared and a bigger road was being built. That is China. There the government can evacuate you in no time.
  • ...investment is like a chappati on a gas stove. If you don't keep moving, it will get burnt.
  • I believe a situation will be created when an Asian currency on the lines of euro will be created which in turn will strengthen Asian economies.
Check out the three parts:
PS: For once, I didn't mind Rediff.com's sensational headlines...

1 Comments:

Blogger Sujai said...

I agree with your second bullet. Yes, India should be in a position to bulldoze place to build infrastructure in the interest of the nation. This happens even in the western world.

21 April, 2006 01:37  

Post a Comment

<< Home